Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Chicken and Vegetable Pasta Salad


This was a pasta salad that evolved the more I searched through the refrigerator and freezer. While the pasta cooked, I went on my scavenger hunt. The end result was delicious, but of course, you can use my outline here and add or omit to suit your taste or what you have on hand. I found three chicken tenderloins in the freezer. I poached them in a little water with salt and pepper while the pasta cooked and cooled.  When they were cooked through, I diced the chicken and it was about 1 cup total.

8 oz. seashell pasta, cooked, drained, rinsed with cool water and drained again
1/2 - 3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 t. onion powder
freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
salt (to taste)
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 small jalapeno, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup cooked cubed chicken
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup frozen green peas (you can thaw these by putting them in the pasta water for the last minute or so of cooking)
Fresh thyme for garnish

In  large bowl, mix together all ingredients.  Add more or less of whatever suits you.  Garnish with the fresh thyme leaves.

This is great for leftovers the next day for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment