Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Cornmeal Crusted Okra Fingers


Another of my FAVORITE vegetables.  Okra gets a bad rap by some people (the unenlightened) for being "slimy" or "yucky."  But cooked properly okra is one of the most delicious vegetables.  

To fry okra I have always used the trim the ends and cut into slices method.  But last night I decided to only trim the stem end and fry them whole.  Fast, easy and with the same great okra taste that I love.  I fried these in the deep fryer and it worked perfectly.

Okra
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup self-rising corn meal (seasoned with salt and pepper)

Preheat oil to 375 degrees.

Wash and pat dry the okra.  Remove the stem end.  Pour buttermilk into a shallow bowl and put a few okra pods at a time in the buttermilk.  

Remove the okra and dredge in the cornmeal.  Fry about 8 - 10 pods at a time, depending on the size of your deep fryer.  Drain on a paper towel lined plate. 

It's best to let the okra rest for a few minutes before eating.  Otherwise, the okra pods will slip out of their crust!  Yes, I know this from experience.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment