Sunday, March 29, 2015

Honey Bourbon, Brown Sugar and Black Pepper Bacon


This morning we chose waffles for breakfast and I thought I'd make some bourbon bacon to go along with the bourbon butter we made last weekend.  I used regular sliced bacon for this batch.  Next time I'll definitely go the thick sliced route.

Remember that the bacon will continue to "crisp" after it's removed from the oven and cools.  If you like your bacon more chewy (like me!), remove from oven at the earliest time.  If you like it really crunchy, cook it the full time.

1 lb. bacon, sliced in half to make half slices
1/3 cup light brown sugar
3 T. honey bourbon
freshly cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and place a baking cooling rack on top of the parchment.

Carefully place bacon slices on the rack.  I used a pepper mill and cracked the black pepper directly onto the slices.


In a small bowl, combine light brown sugar and bourbon and stir until sugar melts into bourbon.  Brush the bourbon mixture onto the slices.


The cooking time will depend on how you like your bacon as I noted above.  Start checking the bacon at 20 minutes.  25 minutes will give you a very crispy, crunchy piece of bacon.  I removed mine from the oven at 22 minutes.

If you use thick sliced bacon, of course, the cooking time will be longer.

Doesn't this look delicious?  


No comments:

Post a Comment