Sunday, March 22, 2015

Heritage Recipes: Miss Clara's Chicken Loaf



In case you're new to my blog or have missed previous posts, Miss Clara was my paternal grandmother.  I was privileged to receive her recipe collection after she passed.  You can learn more about her by following this link.

One of my favorite foods to enjoy at her house was her Chicken Loaf.  And it wasn't made like your typical ground meat loaf.  Her version includes shredded chicken, rice and eggs to help bind it all together.  Unfortunately, as happens so many times, there was no written recipe.  So....I have tried different versions, different methods, different ingredients and I think I have come as close to the chicken loaf from my childhood as I can.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

4 cups of shredded cooked chicken (I used all white meat)
2 cups cooked rice
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
2 slices of white bread, torn into small pieces
1 cup dried bread crumbs
1 large jar of diced pimentos, drained
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 t. sweet paprika
1/2 t. poultry seasoning
1/4 t. ground sage

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease either a large cast iron skillet, two loaf pans or a large casserole dish.

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.  You can add a little more onion or celery if you like.  Sage, for some people, is an acquired taste.  (pun intended!)  So feel free to eliminate if you don't care for sage.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until golden brown.  Let rest a few minutes before serving.


Thank you dear one!



No comments:

Post a Comment