Monday, March 23, 2015

Miss Clara's Cole Slaw


I have been craving fried catfish and hush puppies for a week or so.  I cooked those tonight to still the craving and decided instead of my usual cole slaw recipe, I'd use my Grandmother Clara's recipe.  

I shred the cabbage when I make slaw, but she always chopped hers.  And no food processor chopping.  SHE was the food processor.  And look what I also was blessed to receive from her kitchen.  HER cabbage chopper.  Throughout her life, I'm positive that she "put up" thousands of quarts of kraut.  That cabbage didn't chop itself, you know.  And yes, she padded the handle with mattress ticking and tied it with twine.  Absolutely priceless. 


Here is her recipe:

3 cups chopped green cabbage
3 spring onions, thinly sliced (green onions)
3 T. mayonnaise
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. Mazola corn oil
a few shakes each of salt and pepper
1/2 t. of celery seeds

Add to a bowl and stir.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Thank you dear one!


No comments:

Post a Comment