Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Dining Out Southeast: Payne's Sandwich Shop and Soda Fountain, Scottsboro, AL

We had the distinct pleasure of dropping into Payne's Sandwich Shop and Soda Fountain in Scottsboro, Alabama. I didn't know until that visit that it is the second oldest retail establishment in the State of Alabama and founded in 1869. Located right on the square downtown at 101 East Laurel Street it's in direct view of their lovely courthouse.  The kind of courthouse on the square that used to be in every county in the South.  You can find them on Facebook, but even better is for you to find them IN PERSON.

I started out with a "side salad" which I thought would be the typical iceberg lettuce, one slice of tomato, a sprinkling of fake bacon bits.  Look at this gorgeous fresh salad!  Plenty to share here and it was filled mixed greens, lots of spinach, beautiful thick sliced cucumbers, bell peppers, onions and yellow squash (!) and then topped with croutons and shredded cheese.  A delicious balsamic dressing was perfect.  And yes, we shared!


The menu is full of salads and sandwiches.  No fries here!  Everything is freshly made to order. At the bottom of the menu, I noticed a "Build Your Own Sandwich" option.  Trust me when I say, this is not your Subway sandwich.  I chose sourdough bread which they happily toasted for me, roast beef, lettuce and cucumbers.  Condiments were provided so I could add my own.


Sweet Harold chose the grilled chicken sandwich (freshly grilled) topped with provolone, spinach and roasted red peppers.  Absolutely delicious. 


We were too full to enjoy any of the great ice cream or milkshake selections. I can't wait to go back and treat my sweet tooth.  Please check out their Facebook page and you'll see what I mean.  Their daily specials are listed, well, daily!

Service was superior!


No comments:

Post a Comment