Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Dining Out - Michigan - Frank's Place, Sault Ste. Marie

We went on a several hour boat tour of the Sault Ste. Marie locks and between the crisp Lake Huron/Lake Superior wind and no lunch, by the time we reached Frank's Place for dinner we were starving!

Frank's Place is a delightful, friendly family-owned restaurant located right across from the locks and within one mile from the International Bridge on West Portage. We immediately felt right at home and when our server, Bryan, took our drink orders and went over the menu with us, I felt like we had known him for years.  He made this Alabama couple, who were far from home, feel very welcome.  We were indeed fortunate to be at the restaurant during his shift.  If I owned a restaurant, I'd want him as part of my team.


It had been a long time since breakfast, so we started with Homemade Tortilla Chips served with Salsa and Sour Cream ($3.59) to hold us until our meals arrived. The chips were warm, fresh and well seasoned. The portions of salsa and and sour cream were more than adequate.  


I chose the Walleye Dinner ($7.99 served with slaw and choice of potato). I substituted a trip to the salad bar for the slaw. They gave me the slaw anyway!  Nice strips of fish perfectly seasoned and fried. I offered to go in the kitchen to show them how to cook up some nice hush puppies to go along with the fish, but they politely declined!  That still makes me laugh.


Harold knew that the time was right for him to try a Michigan Pastie. What is that you are probably asking?  When Cornish miners migrated to Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the 1800's, they brought with them their beloved national dish:  the pastie.  Easily stated, it's a pot pie without the pot!  Served with brown gravy that can either be poured over the pie or bites dipped in, it's filled with beef, rutabagas, carrots, onions and potatoes.  The hand pies are folded over, shaped into a D-shaped, crimped and baked.  A slit is put into the pie to allow the steam to escape.

Here's Frank's Place menu description:  Tender crust filled with beef, pork, carrots, onions, rutabagas and potatoes served with coleslaw and a side of gravy.  ($6.49 - with soup and salad bar $8.99)


Oh, look at that flaky crust and incredible filling!


Frank's Place also has a breakfast and lunch service.  If time on this trip had allowed, we would have visited them again.  But hopefully there will be a next time.................







2 comments:

  1. It was so nice to wake up to see your post on Frank's Place fb page and your blog post is so nice and your photos look professional. Frank's is special to me because from 1988 to sept of 2011 it was my husband's and my place, I sold it to my daughter and love to continue to hear good things. I also think that Bryan is a keeper.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to comment! We had an amazing trip and would love to visit again. Please give my regards to your daughter and staff. And give Bryan a hello from me!

    ReplyDelete