Monday, May 9, 2016

Figgy Port Chutney


Oh my. I didn't eat figs as a child. We had neighbors, friends and family who had fig trees and always offered some to my mother, but I don't think she was a huge fan, so therefore, I didn't have many opportunities to enjoy them. But I am a huge fan now. And this delicious chutney made with dried Mission figs, fig preserves and port was an amazing topping for our ham biscuits! I can imagine this would be just as tasty on grilled pork tenderloin or pork chops.

1 T. butter
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 cup chopped dried Mission figs
1/2 cup port
1/4 cup honey
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
1/8 t. salt
1/2 cup fig preserves
2 t. chopped fresh thyme

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and saute 3 - 5 minutes or until tender. 

Stir in figs and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until liquid is almost completely absorbed. 

Remove from heat and stir in preserves and thyme. Cool 30 minutes.

Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week. If chilled, let stand 30 minutes before serving.

From Southern Living Recipes 

No comments:

Post a Comment