Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Ham, Vegetables & Blue Cheese Frittata


I had planned on grilling a skirt steak tonight. But you know what they say about the best-laid plans......Another time for the grilled skirt steak.

So, on to Plan B. I opened the fridge and realized I had a little of this, a little of that, and some more of those. So to continue with the lower carb plan, I went to work constructing a frittata. These are the amounts I used because this is what I had on hand. If you want a little more or less of some of the ingredients, please adjust accordingly. I used 4 eggs because I was only feeding the two of us. If you have more to serve, or like leftovers, add a few more eggs and a little more milk. If you don't like blue cheese, use your favorite. 

1 T. unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced ham
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup diced white mushrooms
1/2 cup broccoli florets
2 t. minced garlic
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 T. low-fat milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles

In a large, non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.

Add ham, onion, mushrooms, and broccoli.  Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 - 7 minutes until vegetables begin to soften and ham begins to brown. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.

 
In a large measuring cup, lightly beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Lower heat to low and slowly pour in egg mixture.


Let mixture slowly cook until bubbles begin to break through the surface. Do Not Stir. Add the blue cheese crumbles and let cook a minute more until mixture begins to set. Preheat broiler.


Place skillet under broiler until eggs puff up and set and the top browns.


Let frittata rest for a minute or so and slowly slide out of skillet onto a cutting surface. Using a smaller skillet (or more eggs) will produce a thicker frittata. But for tonight, for two people, this was perfect. And as a double bonus, I used bits and pieces of veggies which might have gone bad before I could use them AND I got another good dose of veggies for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment