Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Dining Out New Orleans: Da Wabbit (Cafe 615)

During our visit last week to New Orleans, our lovely hostess for the night, suggested we give Da Wabbit (Cafe 615) a try for dinner. Check out the link for the history and menu of Da Wabbit. The menu is very extensive with everything from local favorites, pork chops, Italian dishes, steaks, sandwiches, seafood and on and on. The portions are VERY large. Plan on leftovers!

I fell in love with the neon sign!



Now on to the food! Our friend suggested we begin with onion rings. I love onion rings in any form, but look at these beauties! They were served fresh from the fryer and were light, crunchy and perfectly seasoned.


The other guests with us had iced tea to drink, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to order a Jose Wabbit Wita!  (Jose Gold, Jose Citrico, Lime Juice, Sour Mix, Triple Sec, and garnished with a lime and a salt rim $8.50)


Hostess chose the Bacon Wrapped Pork Medallions ($18.00) served with squash and zucchini. She had enough to take some home for lunch the next day!


Guest #1 had the Eggplant Napoleon ($11.00) from the appetizer menu. Thick rounds of fresh eggplant, fried golden brown and then topped with a crawfish au gratin sauce. As you can see, that was a perfect portion for an entree.


Sweet Harold was drawn to the Crab meat Stuffed Catfish ($18.00).  Grilled catfish stuffed with delicious crab meat dressing, finished in the oven, then topped with a white wine beurre blanc sauce served with zucchini and squash. He loved this dish so much I never got a bite!


And finally, my selection. I knew I wanted fried oysters so I chose the Caesar Salad topped with a dozen oysters! This is a whole order salad ($13.00), and when it arrived at the table, I knew I should have ordered the half order ($9.00). There was the perfect amount of creamy Caesar dressing and the oysters were large and perfectly fried.


All in all, a perfect dinner with lovely friends. I wish we could dine there weekly and enjoy everything on the menu. I'd love to try more of their specialty dishes. If you ever find yourself on the West Bank, do yourself a huge favor and drop in at Da Wabbit! Look for the sign.  

Special photography thanks to my dear friend JuJu!

2 comments:

  1. oh man Lolly, we were in New Orleans this past weekend and I wish I had known about this place. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review of this place. Our dinner was a major highlight of your visit for me!! I'm going to have one of those Witas next time we go for dinner. Rita may have to roll me out to the car...BUT!!

    ReplyDelete