Sunday, November 20, 2016

Lolly's Sunday Morning Biscuits


I've made it my life's goal to cook a good Southern Buttermilk Biscuit. Today, at long last, I've made one as close to that goal as I've ever done before. These were so close to my mother's version it surprised me. Three simple ingredients, four if you count the dash of salt. If, like me, you've been intimidated to attempt to bake buttermilk biscuits, give my recipe / method a try.

2 cups self-rising flour
dash of salt
6 T. shortening (I used Crisco)
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.

In a large bowl, add flour and salt. Add shortening, and using a pastry cutter, cut in the shortening into the flour. Continue until the shortening is the size of peas.

Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour in the buttermilk. Using a large spoon or spatula, stir until well combined.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Using your hands, lightly fold the dough over onto itself two or three times. Lightly pat or roll out dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, gently cut through the dough making individual biscuits. Place onto prepared baking sheet. Continue until all the dough has been used.

Bake for 18 - 22 minutes or until golden brown. Brush the tops of the biscuits with softened butter.



No comments:

Post a Comment