Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Lolly's (no sugar added) Cornbread



I am definitely in the "cornbread does not need sugar" camp! Here's my very simple recipe that has stood the test of time since I won 4-H competitions in elementary school!

2 cups of self-rising white cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
2 T. bacon grease

Yes, that's it.  That's the entire recipe.  

I won 1st Place in every 4-H Bread Competition I entered in elementary and junior high school.  I bet you didn't know that, did you?  I decided if the recipe wasn't broken, I wouldn't try to fix it.  

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  

In a medium mixing bowl, add cornmeal and then slowly stir in buttermilk until it's well blended.  

Put the bacon grease in a cast iron skillet and heat it over medium heat until a drop of the batter sizzles.

Pour the batter into the skillet and bake until golden brown about 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest in skillet for a few minutes before turning out onto a serving plate.

1 comment:

  1. This is my official cornbread recipe...prize-winning cornbread!❤️

    ReplyDelete