Monday, October 9, 2017

Peasant Stew


While thinking of something I could prepare for us to have to this week, I grabbed the 2001 Southern Living Cookbook off the shelf.  I decided I'd try to cook whatever was on the page I opened the book to.

And here we are, Peasant Stew.  I adapted somewhat for the ingredients I had, but this one will definitely be placed in the rotation.

3 carrots, sliced
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 celery ribs, diced
1 t. minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 - 16 oz. Conecuh sausage, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 bay leaf
9 cups chicken stock
3 cups shredded cabbage
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 can Italian cut green beans, drained
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 t. dried thyme
1/2 t. pepper

Add all ingredients into a large Dutch oven (at least 5-quart size). Stir to combine and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to simmer and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, 30 - 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Remove and discard bay leaf. Serve with cornbread or rolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment