Saturday, April 20, 2024

White Cabbage and Carrots

 


This is a recipe from a cookbook (Greek Culinary) my daughter and granddaughter brought back for me from their recent trip to Greece.  It's full of authentic Greek dishes and I am enjoying learning about these different recipes.

I served this simple, but delicious, side dish alongside baked cod fillets.  The olive oil and lemon juice dressing cut through the richness of the fish dish and balanced out the flavors nicely.

The recipe uses a different measuring term than what I am accustomed:  a half teacup of olive oil.  A little research shows that most teacups hold six ounces.  So, I used 3 ounces of olive oil.  Adjust for your taste accordingly.

I'll share the recipe exactly as written.  This is one you'll "play be ear."  

1/2 white cabbage
2 carrots
1/2 teacup olive oil
2 T. finely chopped dill
the juice of one lemon
salt

Wash the cabbage.  Scrape and grate the carrots and finely shred the cabbage.  Mix them in a bowl.  Sprinkle with salt.  Add the olive oil, the lemon juice, and the dill.

1 comment: