Saturday, October 26, 2019

Bush's Chili Starter Chili


Yesterday at the grocery store, I noticed a new (to me) product.  I had already been contemplating cooking chili today.  I decided I'd give it a try. I was making for a crowd and the littles would be dining, so I chose the mild version.

Everything is included in the can except your choice of protein. Yes, the onions, peppers, tomatoes, the chili seasoning, along with kidney and pinto beans are in the can. The recommendation is one pound of ground beef, chicken, turkey, or pork per can.

I heated a tablespoon of olive oil in a large Dutch oven and sauteed two small chopped yellow onions.  After about 3 minutes, I added 2 t. minced garlic and then 4 lbs. of ground turkey.  Break the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.  When the meat has browned, add 1 can of the Chili Starter for each pound of meat.  

If you like extra beans, feel free to add your choice of drained and rinsed canned beans. If you like pieces of diced tomatoes in your chili, add a can!

The verdict?  It was a great pot of chili.  I would probably add a can of black beans, just because of love them, and maybe a can of those diced tomatoes.  But the seasoning needed no adjusting, the consistency was a thick chili, and it was great served either with saltines or "scoops."


1 comment:

  1. Yum, would be great for today. A yucky drizzly day here.

    ReplyDelete