Sunday, August 20, 2023

Dining Out Gulf Coast: J. Michael's, Panama City Beach, FL



We arrived in Panama City Beach just before lunch time.  We're staying in nearby Mexico Beach, but check-in was a few hours away, so we decided to have lunch in PCB before making the 30 minute drive on to the hotel.

J. Michael's has been a fixture in the local dining scene since 1976.  Upon entering the dining room, you know this is a fun place to enjoy a meal.  Dollar bills cover almost ever surface and the beachy vibe is evident.


My favorite dining companion, Sweet Harold, had already decided what he would order before we entered the dining room!


At the beach, smoked tuna dip is a MUST!  J. Michael's version was lightly smoked and served with an assortment of crackers and pickled jalapeno slices.


Here's Sweet Harold's 1920's Style Reuben Sandwich:  Sliced corned beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut served on toasted New York rye.


He said this was everything he expected and more.  

I went with the Sunday special:  J. Michael’s “Infamous” Roast Beef Supreme  The finest roast beef money can buy, smothered in black pepper gravy, topped with mushrooms, sautéed onions and cheese.  I must say it lived up to the hype of the menu listing!  I know I must pace myself while on vacation, so I enjoyed the meat, cheese, mushrooms, and onions, and left the bread behind.  I'm sure it was delicious, but way too many carbs for me right now.


Sweet Harold was extremely intrigued by one of the menu dessert selections:  No-Name Pie which is described as a frozen dessert consisting of whipped cream, pieces of pecans, caramel, and a hint of coconut.


We shared this piece and I'd love to try to make this at home!

We enjoyed our lunch.  It was apparent their client base includes a lot of locals which is always a good sign in a vacation locale.  

1 comment:

  1. I love corn beef, but would have gone with the Roast Beef too. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete