Thursday, January 4, 2024

Dining Out United Kingdom: McSwiggan's Steak and Seafood Restaurant, Galway, Northern Ireland

 



A few days ago, we found ourselves ready for dinner in Galway.  This beautiful town on the Wild Atlantic Way has dozens of restaurants.  We chose one at random and were all pleased with our decision.

This spot is a true Irish pub/restaurant.  It was warm and cozy as we walked in all cold and damp.  



As we were waiting to be seated, I spied these beauties.


We were taken to our table and the pitchers of water and glasses arrived at the table at about the same time.  

Here's a picture of the menu.  I was thrilled with all the selections we had!


Emily ordered the seafood chowder to begin her meal.  She shared a bite with everyone.  It was very good and full of a variety of seafood.  It was well seasoned and served hot!


Nathan requested a Caesar salad and it was a large serving with a generous amount of dressing.


Grandson #1 chose the sirloin steak with gravy and chips.  I took this photo before the chips arrived, but he ate every bite!


Grandson #2 ordered his favorite:  a cheeseburger.  This was a LARGE burger and he ate all but one bite!


Emily ordered the roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables.  She reported that it was tender, well seasoned, and she was pleased with her selection.


Nathan ordered his favorite food that I cooked for him as a child:  chicken pot pie.  He didn't say it was better than mine, but he ate almost every bite.  lol  I hope he still likes mine.


Sweet Harold had said he was going to order something different tonight.  I think he really actually believed he could do that.  He did not do that.


But after a few bites, I think he wished he had.  This one is not going to make it in the Top 5 I don't believe.  He told us that it was somewhat overcooked and the fish was a little dry.

Now we're ready for where this meal gets interesting!  I decided to go all out and order the seafood plate.  I'm right at the Atlantic Ocean and when better to try a variety of this freshly caught seafood just waiting for me to enjoy?

There's a lot going on here and I'll start by sharing a picture of the entire plate and then I'll have individual pictures as well.


Oh my goodness!

I started my taste testing with the lone raw oyster.  Now we all know that I do love and adore my Gulf Coast oysters.  How would this one compare?


I've never been one to just slurp a raw oyster out of the shell.  I always place it on a cracker, add the hot sauce and lemon, etc. and then take bites.  Not this time.  I wanted to give due respect to this oyster.  No briny taste like I'm accustomed to, but a sweet, delicate flavor that was amazing.  

Next, was the smoked salmon with capers.  The perfect amount of smokiness and the briny flavor of the capers was so good.


Prawns with Marie-Rose sauce.  I had no idea what this dish was going to be.  I had never heard of Marie-Rose Sauce.  But it was a generous serving of boiled and chilled prawns covered with the sauce which was like a mixture of mayo/ketchup/Worcestershire/lemon.  This may have been my favorite item on the plate.


The poached salmon was cooked perfectly and just needed a squeeze of lemon to reach its full potential.


This crab dish was served to daintily in this glass crock.  The best way to describe it is as a cold crab salad.  I could have eaten three of these.  


The bread was dense in texture and had large pieces of walnuts.  It was great with all the rich flavors of the seafood.


Last, but certainly not least, was the leafy green salad which was lightly dressed with a tangy vinaigrette.  I ate every bite!


I certainly got my seafood fix here and everyone at our table left with full tummies for the ride home.


No comments:

Post a Comment