Wednesday, March 27, 2024

French Onion Steak over Noodles


I've been playing this recipe over and and over in my mind for weeks.  Our local grocery normally has these "chuck tender steaks" in the meat case.  I bought a couple of packages (they weighed in at a little over a half pound each) and stuck them in the freezer.  Every time the freezer door opens, I would see those little steaks and try to decide what to make with them.

I spied this new (to me) Kinder's seasoning in Sam's Club recently and knew I'd use them on the steaks.


Here's what I used in today's kitchen experiment.....except AFTER I made the picture, I decided to add a can of beef consomm
é as well


I used my Le Creuset braiser for this dish.  You don't need a deep Dutch oven, but a more shallow heavy skillet or braiser with a lid for the braising time is perfect.

I melted a half stick of butter in the braiser over medium heat and added two medium yellow onions which I had thinly sliced.


I added about a half teaspoon of the Kinder's French Onion Seasoning and turned the heat to low.  

You'll want the onions to cook slowly.  Stir them frequently so they don't stick.


Continue cooking until the onions begin to caramelize.


Remove from the braiser to a small bowl and set aside.  Melt the other half stick of butter in the braiser over medium heat.  Season the steaks on both sides with the Kinder's seasoning and place them in the melted butter to lightly sear.


Turn the steaks over to brown on the other side.  Reduce the heat to low and pour in one can of French Onion Soup (plus a can of water) and one can of beef consommé (plus a can of water).  If you'd like, you can stir in 1 - 2 T. of Worcestershire sauce at this point.  Add the onions back into the braiser and cover.  


 Let the steaks and onions braise for an hour and a half.  


In a small bowl whisk together 2 T. corn starch and 2 T. cold water to make a slurry.  Whisk the slurry into the cooking broth.  The broth will thicken into a nice gravy.


While the gravy continues to thicken, cook the medium egg noodles according to the package directions.  When the noodles are done, drain, and stir in either a tablespoon of butter or a tablespoon of olive oil to keep the noodles from sticking together.

Plate the noodles and top with a piece (or two!) of the steak and spoon extra gravy over the top.  To continue the onion flavor theme, I garnished with chives instead of parsley.  You choose the one you like better.


I steamed green beans, mixed in a little Kerrygold butter and sprinkled on the Kinder's French Onion Seasoning.  This was a great meal!



No comments:

Post a Comment