Sunday, June 2, 2024

Cheesy Squash Patties

 



I purchased a pound of fresh squash from a local farmer a few days ago.  Today for lunch, I knew they would be a part of our meal, but I couldn't quite figure out how I wanted to prepare them.  Sweet Harold suggested that I try to prepare them as squash patties, so here we go!

First, you'll need to allow enough time to grate the squash on a box grater directly into a strainer so the squash can release some of their liquid.  This is an ESSENTIAL step of the recipe.

1 lb. yellow squash ends trimmed and grated on a box grater
salt
1 T. olive oil
1/2 of a small yellow onion, diced
1 T. minced garlic
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 T. chopped fresh parsley, divided
2 - 3 T. vegetable oil

First place the grated squash into a strainer or colander and sprinkle with salt.  Toss with your hands and lightly salt again.  Let rest for 10 minutes to allow the squash to drain.  



Squeeze the squash a few handfuls at a time to remove additional liquids, and place in a large mixing bowl.

While the squash drains, add the olive oil to a small skillet and place over medium heat.  Add in the onions and garlic and saute' for about 5 minutes until the onions soften and the garlic begins to lightly brown.


When onions and garlic are ready, add them to the bowl with the grated squash.

Stir in the eggs, cheese, panko, half of the parsley, and Hardin's Seasoning.


Heat the vegetable oil in an iron skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the squash mixture into the skillet by heaping spoonfuls, flattening with the back of your spoon into a patty shape. I could fit four into my skillet, so you'll need to cook in batches.


Lower heat if the squash patties begin to brown too quickly.  They need to cook 3 - 4 minutes on each side.


Remove from skillet to a paper towel lined plate and cook the next batch.

Sprinkle with the remaining chopped parsley before serving.



2 comments:

  1. Another way I need to try using our squash. I think I planted enough to sell at a farmer's market this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think next time I might add a little diced jalapeno.

      Delete