Sunday, August 18, 2024

Basil with Olive Oil and Garlic

 

Basil is my favorite herb.  I love the aroma, the flavor, and the beautiful green leaves during growing season.

I wanted to preserve some of this summer time goodness to have on hand to add to sauces, soups, and stews this winter.  A quick internet search led me to learn that the best way to preserve basil is to freeze it in olive oil.

I purchased some new ice cube trays and went to work.

First, you're going to need a LOT of basil.  Pull the leaves from the stems and either finely mince with a sharp knife or use a food processor.  I used the knife method.


Second step:  pack the chopped basil into the ice cube trays.


Third step:  spoon a little bit of chopped garlic into each cube section.  Jarred garlic is fine for this.


Next, pour in enough olive oil to cover the basil and garlic.


The ice cube trays I purchased had a nice plastic cover.  If yours do not, cover with a piece of plastic wrap.  Place in the freezer.


Freeze for 3 - 4 hours or overnight.




Now all that's left to do is to pop them out of the trays, place in a freezer bag, and make sure you label the bag with the date!


Whenever I make spaghetti sauce, Italian Sausage and Bean Soup, etc. this winter, I'll add one of these cubes at the end of the cooking time and will have that delicious basil flavor!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, do I have the basil growing in my raised beds this year. It's gone crazy. Good idea of how to save it. Now, I need some recipes other than spaghetti sauce on how to use the basil.

    ReplyDelete