Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Tijuana Chicken Bake



Another delicious meal that was cooked from freezer and pantry items!  If you have a well stocked freezer and pantry, anyone can come into your kitchen and play their own version of "Chopped!"  

My "mystery box" included chicken, yellow rice, tomatoes with diced chilies, black beans and taco seasoning.

You can use whatever pieces of chicken you like.  My choices were two large chicken breasts, chicken thighs and drumsticks.  

I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and knew I needed to cook the chicken breasts longer because of the difference in size of the thighs and drumsticks.  

I sprinkled them with some of the taco seasoning and put them in to bake for about 30 minutes.  Then I seasoned the thighs and drumsticks with the taco seasoning and added them to the casserole dish and baked about another 25 minutes.

In a medium bowl, I combined about 3/4 cup yellow rice, the drained and rinsed black beans and the tomatoes with their juice along with about 1/4 cup water.

Then I carefully spooned the rice/bean/tomato mixture around the chicken pieces and returned it to the oven.  When the rice had absorbed all the liquid, I tasted to make sure the rice was completely cooked.  

It was, but you can always had a little more water or chicken broth for the rice to absorb to finish cooking.

Sprinkled a little cilantro on top and we were ready to dine!

No comments:

Post a Comment